Monday, August 25, 2014

Uh Oh



Three suitcases came around the luggage carousel and then we waited and waited and waited, finally the fourth one came around but something was amiss.  Sure enough the fourth suitcase was nearly empty and tucked inside a plastic bag.  Being an international airport you might think they would have someone in the Lost Luggage Claim Area that spoke English, but you would be wrong.  After about an hour and a conversation with R's assistant/translator I was finally led to anther office where I had to fill out some papers claiming what was lost.  A police officer came to ask questions, he wanted to know if it was clothing that I lost.  I explained that it was not clothing it was books.  He asked me if they were subversive books.  Oh no, I said they are English language children's school books.  Lot of good they are going to do children in Russia or Madrid. . . Especially the American History ones.  The police officer called the next day after having reviewed the security tapes he said the loss or theft did not occur at DME so I filed a claim with Iberia Airlines on July 17th.  I sent the claim registered mail from Moscow.  In the letter I requested that they contact me to let me know they received my claim, that was over a month ago.  I have heard nothing.  Did the registered letter get to Madrid?  Did it even leave Moscow?  Fortunately for me ( the kids disagree) R was headed to the states again in August so I reordered the books and he brought them back with him after his fishing trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment