Monday, October 13, 2014

Novodevichy Cemetery




Boris Yeltsin's Grave

Raisa Gorbachova's Grave























































People sometimes give me a funny look if I ask if they've visited any cemeteries in Russia yet.  I find cemeteries beautiful and peaceful places.  My Grampa was the caretaker of the cemetery in their small MA town and I have fond memories of being there with him, pulling weeds and watering flowers. But, cemeteries in Russia are a whole 'nuther ball game.  This is a famous one where wealthy or important or famous Russians are interred, but I've been to other cemeteries and they are just as interesting.  Many times there are photos of the deceased on the graves, or the marker is in the shape of a profession or hobby the deceased took part in.  Because space comes at a premium the graves are crowded and many times used for successive generations of a family.  There may also be a table and chairs or a bench for loved one to sit and reflect.  I know it sounds strange, morbid even but do include a trip to a cemetery while you are in Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment