Friday, August 21, 2015

Picking Blackberries











On our list:  Things to do in NC was pick something, anything, I wasn't sure if we'd find blueberries or blackberries to pick.  I was disappointed when my favorite blueberry fields were all picked over.  Then after a delightful shopping day with my sisters I drove past a sign advertising "You Pick Blackberries".  Due to the miracle of the internet I was able to find the farm and squeeze in a morning picking with my kids before we headed to the lake cottage.  The farm had been in the same family for over 100 years, reinventing itself several times from tobacco to corn to berries.  We made blackberry cobbler, ate some fresh and stuck some in the freezer for a cold winter morning.  Even though I got some flack for making them get up early to go pick, they were very glad we did, once they remembered how much fun it was to pick something fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment