Thursday, March 14, 2013

Metro

The Great Patriotic War by Zurub Tsereteli

Park Pobedy in Cryllic




The Patriotic War of 1812 by Zurub Tsereteli



in a metro car


Park Pobedy Metro Station, Victory Park, at 84 m is the deepest station in Moscow, the third deepest in the world.  It also contains the longest escalators in Europe, each one is 126 m long and has 740 steps.  It takes just under three minutes to travel to the surface or down to the metro line.  When I first asked K what he wanted to do or see in Moscow he said he didn't know and he was sure I would find some things to see, later when I asked again he had found the longest escalator for us to ride!

As an aside, while I once had an irrational fear of escalators, I do not anymore.  To go anywhere in this city without calling the driver(or taxi) one must take a metro, all metro stations have escalators.  Every mall I've been in also has escalators.  In fact, I was in a restaurant yesterday that had an escalator.

No comments:

Post a Comment